I have been an avid runner since I was 16. It is definitely one of my passions and has helped me in so many ways physically and mentally.
For years, friends have asked me to come up with recipes for runners. Instead, here are my top 10 picks for best foods for runners.
1. Wild Salmon-Wild salmon is an excellent source of omega 3 fatty acids which boost heart health and nerve system functioning. Some doctors even say omega-3’s can help with post-run achy joints.
2. Almonds-High in antioxidants, protein and vitamin E, almonds are a wise choice for a runner’s snack helping to prevent achy muscles.
3. Quinoa-This complex carbohydrate (pronounced Keen-wah) is a great energy source filled with fiber, B vitamin, zinc and magnesium which are so helpful to runners. One-fourth cup of dry of quinoa has 172 calories, 6 grams of protein, 31 grams of carbohydrate and 3 grams of fiber. Another great reason to enjoy quinoas is that it is gluten-free.
4. Kale-This member of the cabbage family has high levels of vitamin C, vitamin B6, vitamin K, vitamin C and fiber. It is one of the most antioxidant-filled vegetables.
5. Bananas-This great pre-workout or post-workout food is a great source of carbohydrates and potassium. That is why you will always find bananas offered at the end of races.
6. Eggs-Eating one egg offers a great source of vitamin K and protein which aid in promoting healthy bones and muscles.
7. Blueberries-Filled with vitamin C and potassium, these can help the body repair itself after long, hard runs.
8. Edamame-This great snack is filled with protein, fiber, iron, potassium, magnesium, vitamin K and vitamin C. Edamame are also a great snack option loaded with health benefits.
9. Yogurt-Low-fat yogurt has a good source of carbohydrates and protein, and Greek yogurt has less carbs and even more protein. Both are great sources of calcium which is important for runners to help prevent stress fractures and osteoporosis.
10. Oranges-High in vitamin C, oranges are great for healing and helping absorb iron in the body. This can help prevent fatigue and increase energy levels.