My three kids start back to school in a little over a week so I’ve been trying to get back into the groove. I try to be really creative when it comes to school lunch for two out of my three children who insist on taking their own lunch. This year, I have more than enough ideas since the release of my new cookbook, “400 Best Sandwiches: From Classics & Burgers to Wraps & Condiments”. One of our favorite recipes from the “Lunchbox” chapter is this recipe for Lunch Box Sushi. It’s really easy, healthy, fresh and kids love it. Feel free to substitute cooked chicken for the shrimp. In honor of the popular demand for sandwiches and back to school, I am giving away one copy of my new sandwich cookbook.
How to Enter:
1. Please leave a comment telling me your child’s favorite lunch sandwich or your favorite. This is only open to U.S residents. To earn additional entries, leave a comment for the steps below:
2. Tweet this on twitter: Check out @alisonlewis 400 recipe Sandwich Cookbook Giveaway just in time for back to school lunch ideas http://su.pr/4JG5mz
3. Follow @alisonlewis on twitter
4. Become a fan of Ingredients, Inc on Facebook
5. Stumble this post and follow me on Stumble Upon
6. Winner will be selected Thursday August 11th.
This recipe is from my book “400 Best Sandwich Recipes: From Classics & Burgers to Wraps & Condiments” 2011 by Robert Rose Inc. Reprinted with permission and photo credit by Colin Erricson.
I have been taking yoga classes for about 10 years, and I’m a fan. Bikram yoga is my yoga of choice. Bikram yoga was designed by Bikram Choudhury, who learned yoga at the age of 3, and after a crippling accident, he found that 26 certain postures restored his health. All 26 postures are done in the same exact order every class in a heated room up to 105 degrees, and they are said to work every part of the body. The heat improves and enhances flexibility, flushes the toxins from the body, improves your overall fitness and increases your immune system (not to mentions helps to reduce your weight). Many forms of yoga exist, and you have to find what is right for you. Whichever type you choose, here is why you should love yoga:
1. It gives you energy-Hatha yoga is one of the only types of exercise that actually increases your energy levels. It works the body from the inside out and strengthens the organs getting everything to function normally. One specific pose in Bikram yoga is said to be equivalent to 8 hours of sleep. I don’t know if I believe this, but I do know that I have more energy after a class. On the nights I do yoga, I have this incredible energy buzz, and I always wake up early feeling extra rested.
2. It takes your mind off everything. Yoga is meditative. It also enhances concentration and focus while teaching you how to stay in the present moment.
3. It puts me in a better mood. Yoga increases oxygen to the brain which makes you feel better and is said by medical experts to even help fight depression.
4. Yoga gives you strength. Yoga helps elongate muscles and creates great looking tone to the muscles in the body.
5. It relieves stress. It helps me be mindful of breathing so when I am in stressful situations, I can deal with them even better. It truly gives me peace.
6. Increases balance, clears the mind and the soul. Balance postures really help you strengthen your body such as standing on one leg.
7. Improves your posture.
8. Yoga reduces your risk of sports injury-Yoga is a great way to gain flexibility which helps reduce risks of injury from other sports.
9. Yoga strengthens your back. When I first started doing yoga, a few friends asked me what type of strength training I was doing for my back. Yoga is the answer.
10. It’s a a great workout. I love doing yoga because it’s a wonderful workout. I honestly feel like I have worked every bone and muscle in my body. I think it only enhances my other sport activities and also enhances my work, my relationships and mood.
Note: The yoga tank above is from 59 Splits.