This past weekend I went on a New Orleans Getaway with Hilton HHonors to experience their promotion for The Great Getaway Giveaway going on now until August 4th. You can enter to win a trip just like this by entering here The Great Getaway Giveaway.
After spending 48 hours in New Orleans, I love it more than ever! Here are my 7 must do’s in this iconic Southern City.
1. Stop at Pat O’ Brien’s, built in 1791. The famous Hurricane Drink originated here in the early 1940’s. They chose the name because the drink was, and still is, served in a glass shaped like a hurricane lamp. Their motto is “Have Fun”, and it’s obvious that everyone does sitting on the outdoor patio or the indoor famous piano bar.
2. You’ll love the Spanish meets French architecture as you walk around the downtown. Take a horse carriage ride and learn about the incredible history or enjoy seeing the town on your own. You never know what you may find.
3. Stay in the elegant, landmark Hilton hotel on St. Charles, which is in the heart of downtown’s business district, just blocks away from the famous French Quarter and Bourbon street. This historic building was originally built in 1926 and was the second high-rise built in this area. The hotel has 25 exquisite guest rooms and 25 spacious suites, a world class restaurant and so much more. I was amazed how huge my room was. There’s also a large fitness center and indoor swimming pool. The ornate marble floors, exquisite woodwork, and hand-crafted inlay ceiling tiles keep this stylish hotel second to none.
My room had one of the largest hotel tub and jacuzzi that I have ever seen. I did take the time to enjoy this! 🙂
4. When you head thru the French Quarter, start the day at Cafe Du Monde for the most famous (and mouthwatering) beignets, and then spend some time exploring Jackson Square. You’ll see street artists everywhere, boutiques, restaurants as you explore this beautiful city.
5. Head to Swirl for a midmorning or afternoon wine tasting with the finest wines, and local cheeses around.
6. Take a New Orleans Culinary History Tour where you’ll encounter, the history of Antoine’s, Arnaud’s and other famous New Orleans restaurants. You’ll also have the best sampling of Gumbo, Turtle Soup, Red Beans and Rice, Pralines, Muffulettas, Gelato and more. Need I say more?
7. Dine at Luke, one of the many of John Besh’s restaurants in New Orleans, adjacent the Hilton. Start the evening off with New Orleans cocktails such as Mint Juleps, French “75” and even a Sazerac. Check times for happy hour too!
You’ll love the New Orleans meets French Bistro cuisine at Luke. My menu favorites were the Baked Oysters, Seafood Tower, Shrimp and Grits with roasted jalapeño grits, andouille and green onion sausages, and Bread Pudding with Vanilla Bean Ice Cream and Hot Buttered Pecan Sauce, of course. Less than 48 in New Orleans is not enough. I guess I’ll be planning a trip back very soon!
Enter to win your own trip via The Great Getaway Giveaway NOW thru August 4th.