I have had own company, Ingredients, Inc. for 11 years, and it has taken me this long to figure out the things I should be doing on my lunch break. I used to spend my lunch break eating and working at my desk or else just skip it all together and keep working. Then, I started a trend of spending my lunch breaks on the computer looking at blogs, Facebook, twitter, etc. Finally I realized that taking time in the middle of the day for “me” is essential to reenergize for the rest of the day.
Here are 7 best things to do on your lunch break. Whether you work at home or not, I think all of these should apply. Leave me a comment telling me what is your favorite thing to do on your lunch break.
1. Detach and unplug-Try not to check email and stay off social media. Give yourself an hour off and away from the internet.
2. Exercise-Go workout, head the the gym, or go lift weights. You’ll have more energy and refresh your mind at the same time.
3. Get outside-Go for a run, walk, place tennis with a friend or even eat outdoors. It will give you a great a fresh break, and you’ll be even more creative or productive later.
4. Have lunch with a friend-When I go to lunch with friends it gives me adult time and a mental break from my work.
5. Eat with your kids-It’s always fun to surprise your kids at school. They love when I bring them lunch (although it is not often enough), and it’s always fun to sit with them and their friends.
6. Read a book or magazine-A friend of mine always says she reads a fiction book during lunch. This sounds so relaxing. Lunch time is also a great time to catch up on your favorite magazines.
7. Have a picnic-Pick up your favorite lunch item (salad or sushi) or make your own sandwiches and head to the nearest park. It turns an ordinary day into something fabulous!
8. Take a yoga Class-One of my favorite things to do during lunch is yoga. Find a class near you. You will fall in love with it, I promise.