Everyone thinks Leigh and Zachary, my middle and youngest children, are twins. They are actually two years apart, but they are so close in size that I get that question all of the time. They are both incredible kids and are huge food lovers as well as helpful in the kitchen. This is one of their favorite chocolate cookies from Southern Living magazine. If you’re looking for a wonderful but basic Chocolate Cookie recipe, look no further.
My college friend, Kelli, was the first young person I met who really knew how to cook. Her mom was the best cook that I remember. I loved to go to her house in Nashville during breaks and holidays because she was a such a great hostess, and this is the type of thing, as a teenager, I never forgot. She always sent us home with “Hello Dolly” cookies, which I never heard of until then. Now, these cookies are a staple at my house, and my kids love them too. These are great to make during the summertime while the kids are out of school. They’re so easy, even the kids can join in. Using smaller amounts of chocolate and butterscotch, fat-free sweetened condensed milk and water with the butter cuts down on the calories and fat. These are 123 calories per serving and 4.4 grams of fat so enjoy.
You will love these cookies for the holidays or anytime of the year. These cookies were inspired by my love for molten cakes, but they are very simple to prepare and come out fabulous!
Molten Lava Cookies
“These pillowy-soft, brownie-like cookies are made possible with real butter and a chocolate lava center made with semisweet and dark chocolate melted with vanilla.”
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped dark or semisweet chocolate (at least 60% cocoa)
- Powdered sugar for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cream together butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Add cocoa powder, eggs and vanilla; mix until combined.
- Combine flour and baking powder in a separate bowl. Gradually add to butter mixture.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Using your thumb, press a thumbprint into the center; fill with a piece of chocolate and fold dough over to cover chocolate.
- Place balls 2 inches apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until edges are firm and tops are soft. Remove cookies to a cooling rack; dust with powdered sugar, if desired. Serve warm, if possible. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
- To reheat cookies, place cookie on microwave-safe plate and microwave on high for 5 seconds, or until cookie is slightly warm
Molten Lava Cookies
Servings Per Recipe: 24
Amount Per Serving
- Total Fat: 9.3g
- Cholesterol: 38mg
- Sodium: 105mg
- Total Carbs: 30.1g
- Dietary Fiber: 1.3g