Summer is in full swing, and while you have undoubtedly already made a few trips to the beach or the pool, it’s not too late to get into gear and get the body and tone you want. Fitness expert, Bikram yoga instructor and owner of Bikram Yoga Andersonville in Chicago., Jessica Rask, says that Bikram yoga can put you on the fast-track to bikini body bliss. “Because Bikram is done in a 105-degree room with approximately 40% humidity, you sweat a great deal more than you would with other exercises, allowing the body to detoxify on a cellular level, ensuring all of your organs are working in optimal condition” she says. “Over time Bikram yoga can really help take inches off your waist, hips and thighs, while building muscle tone all over. Photo (above) via Pure Bikram Hot Yoga
Here are the 5 best things about Bikram Yoga via Jessica:
- All you need for yoga is a spine! Bikram Yoga is an all levels class. Everyone can practice and feel comfortable doing so. No matter what is happening with your body, you can come to class. Bikram says you are never too old, too sick, or too injured to start from scratch again. And it’s true! The saddest moment for me, as a teacher, is hearing someone say they cannot come to class because of a broken toe, wrist, leg, etc. Yoga is therapy! It is so wonderful to watch our students practice ESPECIALLY when they are working through a physical ailment. I have taught class to a young woman in a half leg cast, a first time student who had torn her ACL two weeks prior, broken wrists, herniated discs, MS, RA, you name it! This specific style of yoga can be pivotal in the healing process for bodily injuries.
- In Bikram Yoga, it is not the teacher’s decision what to teach. We perform the same 26 postures and 2 breathing exercises every class. There is beauty in repetition. Due to this stipulation in the Bikram Yoga class, you are assured your entire body is worked from top to bottom (i.e., the teacher cannot focus on forward bends or arm balancing, just because it is what they like)! Over time, this repetition becomes your constant in an ever changing life. You always know you can come to class and meditate in this beautiful dance that is the 26 and 2.
- Although we practice the same 26 postures and 2 breathing exercises, the body is always different so no class is ever the same! Many times, I will hear students walk in and say they expect to have a hard time in class, only to have the best class ever on the mat!
- Over time, as one becomes more in tune with his or her body, it is easier to identify if something is off. Because we do not provide hands on adjustments or demonstrate the postures, the student becomes very in tune with what is happening inside. This is so important to a person’s well-being! I have had students come to me and say they credit this yoga to knowing something was wrong inside and gone on to identify cancer in its very early stages….life saving!
- SWEATING…no need to extrapolate.
picture (above) is Jessica and thank you Jessica for contribution on this post.