Since I have been doing a lot of nutrition seminars and speaking engagements lately on superfoods and healthy eating habits, it has been so fun to experiment with various combinations of super healthy ingredients. Last week, I thew together this with this High Antioxidant Superfoods Salad. My newest favorite ingredient is broccoli sprouts, and my kids and I are infatuated with them. They are so healthy and are said to help prevent cancer, reduce inflammation and even help protect against ulcers. This salad is also filled with some of my other super food favorites including berries, pumpkin seeds and colorful greens. If you want a refresher on the health benefits of blackberries, read my post on “Top 10 Health Benefits of Blackberries.” Feel free to add grilled chicken or shrimp along with your favorite salad dressing, or just simply use balsamic vinegar and oil.
Rhubarb looks a bit like red celery, but it’s actually a member of the fruit family. Juicing is a great way to take in valuable nutrients without having your body word hard to break down the fibers. It’s high in many vitamins such as calcium, vitamin K and Lutein, a natural antioxidant that’s great for healthy eyes and skin. When you “juice” fruits and vegetables, the food value is readily available to your body in larger quantities than when you eat the fruit whole. The benefits of consuming juiced fruits and veggies include keeping your heart, liver and kidneys strong and healthy.
My kids absolutely love kiwifruit, and I am so glad because they have so many amazing health benefits. One kiwi has 45 calories, 10 grams of carbohydrate, 0.5 grams of fat and 2 grams of fiber. Here are the top 10 health benefits of eating kiwifruit.
Top 10 Health Benefits of Kiwi:
1. High in Vitamin C-Kiwi contains a remarkable amount of vitamin C, a water soluble antioxidant that has been proven to fight against cardiovascular disease and cancer. Kiwi contains 2 1/2 times the recommended daily allowance of vitamin C.
2. High in Fiber-Kiwi has a high fiber content which helps improve diabetes, controls blood sugar and protects against colon cancer.
3. Preventing Asthma, Wheezing and Coughing-Studies of 18,000 children have shown that children consuming more kiwi aided in their respiratory tracts and helped prevent asthma, wheezing and coughing.
4. Good source of potassium-One serving of kiwi has more potassium than a banana, ideal for fluid and electrolyte balance and energy during exercise.
5. Improved Vision-Studies show that not just carrots are good for your eyes, but kiwi too. Kiwi fruit is an excellent source of the phytochemical lutein which helps contribute to age related blindness. Consuming three kiwi a day can lower your risk of eyesight loss.
6. Improved Cardiovascular Health-Studies are showing consuming a few kiwi a day can lower your chances of blood clots as well as reduce your triglycerides, protecting against cardiovascular disease.
7. Source of Vitamin E-Kiwi fruit is one of the fat free sources of Vitamin E, a powerful antioxidant that helps boost immunity and helps lower cholesterol.
8. Good Source of Zinc-Kiwi’s zinc content can help promote testosterone in men and promote healthy skin, hair, nails and teeth.
9. Source of Folate-Kiwi has 10% of the recommended daily amount of folate which pregnant mothers need for a healthy pregnancy, baby and prevention of birth defects.
10. Low Glycemic Index-Kiwi has a low glycemic index of 52 which is safe for diabetics, is low in carbohydrates and aids in weight loss.
Summer is now upon us, and this is the time of year to really take care of your skin. Many doctors say the more attention we pay to what we put in our body, the more it will help with skin problems later. I thought I would share some of my favorite foods that are great for healthy skin. Let me know if you have any favorites to add to my list.