Who is running the “Race for the Cure” this year? Since it’s this weekend in Birmingham, I thought I would share a few of my top 5K Race Running Tips. I have been a runner since I was 16, and I used to run races almost every weekend. This race, in support of Breast Cancer, is one of the best. If you haven’t run a race before, support National Breast Cancer Awareness Month by trying out the Susan G. Komen “Race for the Cure”.
My Top 10 Race Tips:
1. Run with a friend-Running with a friend always makes it more fun and rewarding. Choose a friend who is inspiring, runs your pace and makes you laugh.
2. Pace Yourself-Don’t start off too fast, and think small. Just think and worry about the mile you’re on and not the entire picture. Save your speed and kick for the last mile of the race.
3. Eat and drink well-The night before the race, eat good carbohydrates with protein, and drink a lot of water. Avoid alcohol, sugar and fatty foods.
4. Don’t overdress-Wearing too many clothes can be so uncomfortable. Believe me. I have been guilty of this on many occasions. Less is more.
5. Wear good shoes-Purchase good running shoes, but break them in first. Don’t wear brand new shoes the day of the run, or you may get blisters (I learned the hard way on this one too).
6. Train-Train for the race. You can find many great training schedules online as well as training groups in your host city. Be sure to cross train as well.
7. Warm up and stretch-I like to run for a bit before the race begins to get my muscles warm and then stretch my legs. Also, remember to stretch when the race is competed.
8. Rest– Get a good night’s rest the night before. Try to relax the night before, and try not to stress or over-think the race.
9. Arrive early-Get to the race early enough so you can relax and don’t have to rush. Give yourself time to park, get your number, put your gift bag in the car and warm up properly.
10. Have fun-Enjoy the race and give it all you got. You will feel so much better afterwards, and it will also be a great accomplishment (it’s also very fun to get a new T-shirt).