It’s our last day of school today-YAY! I thought I would share this Tofu Strawberry Shortcake recipe for a healthy dessert to kick off the summer this Memorial Day Weekend using Organic Tofu to make a fabulous tofu cream (with pure vanilla, maple syrup and almond milk too). It’s SO good! What are your weekend plans? We are busy with my daughter, Leigh’s recital and hopefully I’ll get some outdoor downtime. Hope you have a wonderful start to summer and holiday weekend!
Tofu Strawberry Shortcake
1/2 package House Foods Premium or Organic Tofu Medium Firm
3 Tbsp powdered sugar
2 Tbsp maple syrup
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 vanilla bean, seeded
1 Tbsp vanilla almond milk (optional)
1/2 (17-1/4oz.) package frozen puff pastry (1 sheet), thawed
11/2 pounds strawberries, hulled and sliced
1/4 cup sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 400F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. First prepare the tofu vanilla cream: break the tofu up into pieces and add to the food processor along with the powdered sugar, maple syrup, vanilla, and almond milk. Blend for 1 minute until completely smooth. Remove to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
3. Meanwhile, flour work surface. Roll out each puff pastry sheet to a 14-inch square. Use a biscuit cutter to cut the puff pastry into 10 (3 1/2 -inch) rounds. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Bake the pastry until golden brown and puffy, about 15 minutes, rotating the sheets halfway through cooking. Remove and let them cool. Once cool, horizontally slice each puffed round into 2 pieces.
4. Add the strawberries, sugar and lemon juice to a medium bowl and toss. Let it sit at room temperature for 20 minutes so the juices develop.
5. To assemble, add a puffed round to a dessert plate. Add a layer of tofu cream and strawberries and dollop of tofu cream. Top with round of pastry and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve immediately.