My mom used to take me to our local bakery when I was little, and eclairs were always my top dessert pick. Last night, my sister Julie, invited my daughter and I (along with my niece and several other friends) to learn how to make homemade eclairs. Her dear friend, Orli, a French baking expert, taught us how to make these Easy Eclairs Recipe from scratch. The recipe instructions may appear to be a long process, but they truly are easy! Be sure to have a few Ziploc bags on hand for piping. They make piping the dough and filing even easier. Enjoy and Bon Appetit!
Easy Eclairs Recipe
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup stick of unsalted butter
1/2 (5.1 ounce) package vanilla instant pudding
2 cups (16 ounces) heavy whipping cream
3 large eggs
1/2 (10 ounce) package of 60% cocoa chocolate chips
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 tablespoon instant coffee
For the Dough:
1. Melt together 1 cup of water and unsalted butter and bring to a boil in a medium saucepan. When it comes to a boil, remove from heat and stir in flour, stirring constantly until the consistency looks like mashed potatoes. Set aside to cool completely.
2. Preheat the oven to 400F.
For the Filling:
1. While the dough is cooling, add 1/2 of package of instant vanilla pudding and 2 cups of whipping cream together in container of an electric mixer. Mix at high speed until almost creamy and when you can tilt the bowl and the the mixture does not move. Place filling in the refrigerator until ready for piping.
1. Place dough in a container of an electric mixture. Add eggs mixing over medium speed until smooth but sticky. Remove and place dough into a ziploc bag. Cut the tip. Squeeze dough into 2 to 3 inch strips on to a nonstick tray.
2. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let them cool completely. Once cooled, slice each eclair long ways like a hot dog bun. Put the filling in a Ziploc bag cut the tip, and squeeze mixture into each eclair.
For the Chocolate topping:
Melt together chocolate chips, cocoa powder, instant coffee and 2 tablespoons of water in a saucepan over low heat. Drizzle chocolate on top of each eclair using a spoon. Place eclairs in the refrigerator for at least 10 minutes before serving. Store in the refrigerator.