The other night we had some leftover blueberries and blackberries, and I thought we better do something with them quickly before they go bad. I gave this recipe to my family to prepare while I was working away. I was was so excited when this came out of the oven. We ate half of it (I have to admit), standing up and before it even cooled down. So beware.
11/2 cups fresh blueberries
11/2 cups fresh blackberries
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/3 cup fresh orange juice
2/3 cup all-purpose or whole wheat flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 375F (190C).
2. Combine blueberries, blackberries, 3 tablespoons sugar, and orange juice in a lightly greased 8-inch square baking dish. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, combine butter and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla extract. Gradually add flour mixture, stirring just until ingredients are combined. Drop batter by rounded tablespoons over berry mixture. Cover as much of filling as possible.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, until topping is golden brown and filling is bubbly.