It’s the heat of July, and that means one thing – ice cream! Check out my ice cream travel guide with these ice cream recipes from 4 renowned hotel chefs that are far from being just vanilla. Black Forest Ice Cream (above) is courtesy of Pastry Chef Brittani Szczecina, Palm Beach Marriott Singer Island Beach Resort & Spa. Enjoy this recipe and the other three selections.
1. Peanut Butter & Beach Plum Jelly Ice Cream from Executive Chef Daniel Kenney, Sea Crest Beach Hotel – Cape Cod, Mass.
Yield: 1 quart of ice cream
½ cup organic sugar
3 organic eggs
1 cup organic whole milk
¾ cup organic peanut butter
¾ cup Cape Cod beach plum jelly
¾ cup condensed milk
½ cup organic heavy cream
2 teaspoons vanilla beans, fresh from pod
1. In a medium bowl, beat the sugar and eggs with an electric mixer until thick, about 3 minutes. Set aside.
2. Pour milk into a small saucepan, and bring to a simmer over low heat. Gradually drizzle the hot milk into the eggs while whisking vigorously. Then pour the whole mixture into the saucepan.
3. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Do not boil.
4. Remove from heat, and whisk in peanut butter. Allow to cool slightly, then whisk in the sweetened condensed milk, heavy cream and vanilla beans.. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
5. Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker, and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Fold in beach plum jelly when mixture is still soft, then transfer to a container, and freeze until solid.
2. Banana Split from Executive Chef Caleb Lara, Harbor View Hotel – Martha’s Vineyard, Mass.
Yield: Makes 1 dessert
1 scoop vanilla bean ice cream
1 scoop chocolate ice cream
1 scoop strawberry gelato
1 banana, sliced lengthwise
Dark Rum Pineapple Sauce (recipe below)
2 tablespoons Italian cherries in liqueur
Freshly whipped cream
1 waffle cone, broken into pieces
Dark Rum Pineapple Sauce
1 cup finely chopped fresh pineapple
½ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup dark rum
1. Make the pineapple sauce by simmering all the ingredients together until a glaze forms
and the alcohol cooks off. Let cool before serving.
2. Arrange the ice cream ingredients in a platter (ice cream, banana, Italian cherries) and
drizzle with pineapple rum sauce. Top with freshly whipped cream and waffle cone pieces; serve immediately.
3. Rhubarb-Mint Ice Cream from Executive Chef David Haick, Whiteface Lodge – Lake Placid, New York
Yield: 1 QT
2 cups rhubarb puree
1 liter heavy cream
14 each fresh egg yolk
2 cups sugar
½ cup fresh mint
1. Heat heavy cream until 180 degrees. Add mint and steep 10 minutes. Strain through chinois.
2. Combine yolks and sugar and mix until ribbon stage. Add warm cream. Bring to a thick consistency or until 185 degrees.
3. Add rhubarb puree, and combine well. Use a Paco Jet machine to continue the process. Serve with fresh fruit.