It’s so warm this summer, so if you are exercising or just in the heat, keep hydrated and drink up. Here are some of the best drinks for hydration that seem to work for me. Also, see my recipe for Blueberry Spritzer for something a little different.
1. Coconut Water: Coconut and coconut water is so popular these days. I love the idea of coconut water as a natural electrolyte source. This category has grown from one product to many and from plain to fruit-flavored. Drink them as they are, mix them into your favorite smoothies or even add them to popsicle recipes.
2. Fresh Fruits and Vegetables: You probably haven’t thought about the water content of fresh produce, but there is a hydration benefit that comes from consuming fruits and vegetables throughout the day. Consider cucumber, watermelon and even iceberg lettuce for their high water content. While these foods shouldn’t replace your other fluids, making them part of your meals and snacks is a good idea.
3. 100% Fruit Juice: 100% fruit juice is a good alternative to artificially sweetened drinks. However, too much juice throughout the day can add up to too many calories in your diet. Combine one or two ounces of juice mixed with seltzer or sparkling water for a refreshing way to hydrate.
4. Iced Coffee or Tea: Good news for those who drink caffeinated drinks. Caffeine is not dehydrating like it was once believed to be, as long as you don’t overdo it. Of course, what you put into iced coffee or tea greatly affects the nutritional quality of the drink. Aim for non-fat milk and hold off on the sugar.
5. Water: Water is still the best drink choice. I try to drink a liter of water after my workouts before consuming my morning coffee. Remember to drink water throughout the day, and you are sure to stay well hydrated.
Thanks to www.guidingstars.com for sharing some of this information. All other advice is from me.