So, it’s Brussels Sprouts season, and I know people either love them or hate them. I happen to be a fan, and 2 out of 3 of my kids are too. This recipe for Brussels Sprouts Salad with Cranberries and Walnuts is one of my new favorites which I’ll serve on Thanksgiving this year. I used a simple apple cider vinaigrette mixture to flavor the Brussels Sprouts and tossed them with sweet dried cranberries and crunchy walnuts. For another healthy and easy Brussels Sprout side dish option, see Brussels Sprouts-Tomato Salad, which is another tasty way to serve this healthy vegetable.
5 Health Benefits of Brussels Sprouts:
1. Brussels Sprouts are high in Vitamin K which promotes healthy bones and brain function.
2. Brussels Spouts are high in fiber which helps in digestion, lowers cholesterol, prevents constipation, and aid in weight loss, making you feel fuller longer.
3. Brussels sprouts are high in antioxidants helping to fight against cancer.
4. Brussels sprouts are high in Vitamin C (1 cup contains over 161% of the recommended daily allowance) which helps boost the immune system and lower blood pressure.
5. Brussels Sprouts are high in iron and folate which helps maintain red blood cell count and prevents against diseases and birth defects.
FYI I will be on WMJJ 96.5 FM this morning talking about how to cook healthier during the holidays.
Summer is here, and I went to Pepper Place Farmer’s Market yesterday. I bought some wonderful produce including some beautiful yellow squash. Last night I created a Light Yellow Squash Casserole recipe which is a winner. All of my 3 kids ate it (honestly), and even asked for more (no joke). It’s super easy to prepare. The most difficult part is slicing the squash and onion (I also grated my own cheese). This recipe makes a wonderful side dish for summertime, and I love the mixture of crushed reduced-fat crackers (low-fat Ritz) and panko breadcrumbs on top.
I made this on Thanksgiving, and it was quite the hit. Fresh green beans, shallots and panko breadcrumbs take ordinary Green Bean Casserole to a new level. It’s perfect for Christmas and anytime of the year. No one will believe it’s so low in fat.