Super Bowl Sunday is almost upon us, and so many people have been calling me to purchase my cookbook, “400 Best Sandwiches: From Classics & Burgers to Wraps & Condiments”. (Honestly, I am just looking forward to the commercials and seeing Madonna). Anyway, a friend told me the other day that she is making something really simple: my Club Sandwich recipe. In honor of Super Bowl 46, I thought I could give away one copy of my latest book filled with 400 Sandwich Recipes. Here are a few more selections from the book.
To enter, see below. You can leave additional comments for each step. I will draw the winner on Super Bowl Sunday, February 5th at 8 p.m CST. Good luck!
1. Leave a comment below telling me who you are routing for or what you’re making for Super Bowl Sunday.
2. Like Ingredients, Inc on Facebook.
2. Follow me on twitter.
3. Follow me on Pinterest
4. Tweet the following: I just entered @alisonlewis cookbook giveaway for #400BestSandwiches
Recipe excerpted from 400 Best Sandwich Recipes by Alison Lewis © 2011 Robert Rose Inc. www.robertrose.ca Reprinted with permission. All rights reserved.
I have been on a soup kick this month, and I am so excited to judge this year’s Acoustic Soup in Birmingham, Alabama at Workplay on January 26th. This event will feature soup from talented Birmingham chef’s and restaurants benefitting VSA Alabama, which serves children and adults with chronic disabilities through the arts. Please come and bring your families for great food and a wonderful cause. Here are some of my favorite soup recipes such as my Chipotle Vegetarian Chili (pictured above) and others from my favorite magazines and blogs such as this Tortilla Soup from Sunset Magazine and My Recipes (pictured below).
Roll Tide! I can’t believe an Alabama team is (once again) in the BCS National Championship. You have no idea what it’s like to live in this crazy, passion-filled football state (Alabama and Auburn) where red jeans and houndstooth are at a premium. I have had many, many requests, phone calls and emails for appetizer recipes. Since everyone is trying to get their new years off right, I thought I would share this Spinach Dip with Greek Yogurt recipe which I recently made this on television for NBC 13 “Daytime Alabama”. It’s so easy, and it’s always a hit. It is perfect for any party, Superbowl, or weekend starter with the family. Here are a few other favorites appetizers ideas including Chicken Chipotle Dip
Since I have been obsessed with almond butter for quite some time, I thought I would try my hand at making these Almond Butter Flaxseed Pancakes. You combine almond butter with your favorite homemade or store-bought pancake mix, flaxseed meal (which can be found at most local groceries), banana and even nonfat Greek yogurt. My kids went nuts over these, and I felt great serving them such an incredibly healthy breakfast. They called them, “Banana-Nut Pancakes” which was a great name. These pancakes taste great reheated, and they make a great healthy afternoon snack. Enjoy anytime of the year, but they are perfect for a healthy Christmas break, New Year’s or weekend breakfast.
No Bake recipes bar cookie recipes are some of my favorite cookie/bar types of desserts, especially this time of year when I’m so busy. I quickly mixed up these up one afternoon, and my kids told me these were a “home run” (well that was what the boys said). My daughter loved them even though she isn’t a coconut fan. These No Bake Chocolate Peanut Bars call for ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry. These make a great afternoon snack, dessert (with milk) and an easy homemade gift for Christmas or Hanukkah.
I was so excited last week to be asked to be on a very popular radio station in Birmingham, WMJJ Magic 96.5, and do a show on “Tips for Eating healthy during the holidays”. Before I went on the air, I thought about what I do personally, and I asked some of my friends on Facebook and Twitter for their input. The thing to remember is to eat everything in moderation. Also, make good food choices (such as my favorite Winter Radicchio Salad with Pomegranates). The radio show was so popular that I will be doing a monthly radio show with them, and I am so excited about that!
Here’s my list of Top 10 Healthy Holiday Eating Tips:
1. Exercise during the holidays.
2. Before you leave your house, eat a small snack and eat small meals throughout the day so you’re not binging at night
3. Eat breakfast on Thanksgiving and Xmas morning
4. Eat only what you love at the holiday table
5. Don’t rush to eat. Socialize as much as you can, but do it away from the holiday table.
6. If you’re drinking alchohol, drink a nonalcoholic version first
7. Drink a lot of water that day so it makes you feel full
8. Eat veggies everywhere you can, and fill your plate up with a lot of them
9. If there are 2 plate sizes, put your meal on a salad or dessert plate
10. When you’re done eating, wait and don’t go back for more.
So, it’s Brussels Sprouts season, and I know people either love them or hate them. I happen to be a fan, and 2 out of 3 of my kids are too. This recipe for Brussels Sprouts Salad with Cranberries and Walnuts is one of my new favorites which I’ll serve on Thanksgiving this year. I used a simple apple cider vinaigrette mixture to flavor the Brussels Sprouts and tossed them with sweet dried cranberries and crunchy walnuts. For another healthy and easy Brussels Sprout side dish option, see Brussels Sprouts-Tomato Salad, which is another tasty way to serve this healthy vegetable.
5 Health Benefits of Brussels Sprouts:
1. Brussels Sprouts are high in Vitamin K which promotes healthy bones and brain function.
2. Brussels Spouts are high in fiber which helps in digestion, lowers cholesterol, prevents constipation, and aid in weight loss, making you feel fuller longer.
3. Brussels sprouts are high in antioxidants helping to fight against cancer.
4. Brussels sprouts are high in Vitamin C (1 cup contains over 161% of the recommended daily allowance) which helps boost the immune system and lower blood pressure.
5. Brussels Sprouts are high in iron and folate which helps maintain red blood cell count and prevents against diseases and birth defects.
FYI I will be on WMJJ 96.5 FM this morning talking about how to cook healthier during the holidays.
I love creating recipes with fresh mushrooms, and this Panko and Vegetable Stuffed Portobello was a vegetarian main dish was a hit this weekend. Be sure to notice that between September 15th to November 15th, select retailers nationwide will sell mushrooms in pink containers in recognition of Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Since 2002, the Mushroom Council has invested more than $750,000 in grants to City of Hope for research on mushrooms and cancer. This fall, the Council will provide an additional $50,000 to continue funding this important research. How cool is this packaging in support of City of Hope and Breast Cancer Awareness Month?
Great Health Benefits of Mushrooms