My 3 kids absolutely love homemade juice, and I mean “love”. Lately I have been getting so many questions daily about a “juice cleanse”, and my thoughts on that… I like to tell people I believe everything in “moderation”. Regardless, this Triple Berry Antioxidant juice is antioxidant-packed and made with blueberries, raspberries and strawberries. It is a homemade juice that is great for hydration, boosting your metabolism, cancer prevention, your skin and more. This recipe makes a great morning pick-you-up or kid’s afternoon snack. I was trying to save some I made this afternoon, and my daughter finished it before I could turn around.
Happy Fitness Friday. Since it’s my birthday week, I thought I would offer a fun giveaway for an awesome tank from lululemon athletica. We are so lucky to have a lululemon athletica store in Birmingham so check out their Facebook page. If you live in town, did you know that they offer yoga at their store every sunday night from 6 to 7 p.m? The class is taught by a different local yoga instructor each week. Fun, huh? If you’re in town, be sure to check it out! Back to my giveaway… To enter to win one of their latest tanks (it might not be these exact ones pictured, but it will be one of their latest tank tops), leave a comment telling me what type of yoga you would like to try or how yoga has impacted your life. Also do the following below for extra chances to win and leave me a comment letting me know you did. One lucky winner will be drawn on Tuesday, March 13th at 8 a.m CST. Good Luck!
1. Like Ingredients Inc on Facebook
2. Follow Alison Lewis on Twitter
3. Follow Alison lewis on Pinterest
4. Subscribe to Ingredients, Inc. via email
5. Like FoodLife Project on Facebook
6. Sign up for The FoodLife Project first “small group series” for 10 chances to win.
One of my food weaknesses is definitely granola so I thought I would develop a recipe for a Grain-Free Granola for all of those who can’t have grains, are gluten-free, are following the Paleo Diet or are watching their carbohydrate intake. This recipe for Grain-Free Granola is super easy to make, and it’s full of my favorite seeds and nuts. Feel free to use whatever you have on hand as all of the nuts and seeds are easily interchangeable. This granola makes a great breakfast idea stirred into nonfat Greek Yogurt or with almond milk. It also makes a great afternoon snack, a healthy sweet to put in your children’s lunch, or a wonderful dinnertime dessert served with fruit.
I am so excited about sharing this simple, healthy main dish. In under 30 minutes, this recipe for Balsamic Chicken Cutlets makes a great healthy weeknight or weekend entree. This recipe is perfect if you’re following a gluten-free, Paleo or low carb diet. Pine nuts are a great source of protein, dietary fiber, magnesium and iron, and they add great flavor and crunch to this easy recipe.
These No-Bake Paleo Cookies were introduced to me by my friend, Tanya, who has been having success with the Paleo Diet. What I love about these cookies is that they are gluten free, high in omega 3 fatty acids, and best of all, taste great. This recipe is great if you’re on a gluten-free diet, trying to eat low carbohydrates or following the the Paleo Diet, which is based around eating quality sources of protein, fresh fruits, vegetables, lean meats, seafoods, fats high in omega-3 and low-glycemic carbohydrates. This is a low-carb diet which omits refined sugars and grains, dairy, trans fats, salt, high-glycemic carbohydrates, and processed foods. For more information see The Paleo Diet. Best of all, these cookies are no bake!
February is heart health month, so I thought I would share some of my healthy heart tips. A few of my favorite heart healthy foods are salmon, nuts, oatmeal, dark chocolate, tomatoes, berries and even red wine (in moderation). Read on for some easy tips to better heart health.
1. Limit unhealthy fats and cholesterol-If you reduce trans and saturated fats, you can reduce your cholesterol.
Choose: canola oil and olive oil
Avoid: butter, lard, bacon, fat
2. Choose Low Fat Protein Sources-Choose lean meats, eat less red meat and choose heart healthy fish (such as wild salmon and mackerel). These are filled with omega 3-fatty acids. Other good options include lean meats and poultry, low-fat daily products and egg whites. Avoid full fat milk and dairy products, egg yolks, bacon and fried foods.
3. Eat more vegetables and fruits-Eat raw fruits and veggies, and if you cook your vegetables, steam, grill or sauté them.
Avoid: frying vegetables, vegetables in cream sauces and fruit in heavy syrup.
4. Eat Whole Grains and Seeds-Choose whole grains and add seeds such as ground flaxseed and chia seeds to your diet. Flaxseeds are small brown seeds that are high in fiber and omega-3 fatty acids, which can lower your total blood cholesterol. You can grind the seeds in a coffee grinder or food processor and stir a teaspoon of them into yogurt, applesauce or hot cereal.
Avoid: white bread, cakes, and pies
5. Reduce sodium intake-Sodium can lead to high blood pressure. Choose fresh or dried herbs and spices instead of salt.
Avoid: table salt, full sodium canned soup, soy sauce, and tomato juice
6. Control portions-Watch your portions. A serving of pasta is ½ cup and the size of a hockey puck. 3 to 4 ounces of lean meat is the size of deck of cards.
7. Plan your daily meals ahead of time – Eat out less and cook healthy meals more.
8. Eat more Power-Foods-Power foods are those foods packed with antioxidants such as cherries, strawberries, berries, chia and flaxseeds, lentils, pomegranates, quinoa and more.
9. Exercise that heart-Try to exercise 5 to 6 times a week. Walk, run, dance, bike, swim or do what you love to get that heart pumping.
10. Replace junk food with fruits and vegetables– Start by replacing one junk food a week, and increase this every week until you have a cleaner diet.
photo above from Pinterest
Super Bowl Sunday is almost upon us, and so many people have been calling me to purchase my cookbook, “400 Best Sandwiches: From Classics & Burgers to Wraps & Condiments”. (Honestly, I am just looking forward to the commercials and seeing Madonna). Anyway, a friend told me the other day that she is making something really simple: my Club Sandwich recipe. In honor of Super Bowl 46, I thought I could give away one copy of my latest book filled with 400 Sandwich Recipes. Here are a few more selections from the book.
To enter, see below. You can leave additional comments for each step. I will draw the winner on Super Bowl Sunday, February 5th at 8 p.m CST. Good luck!
1. Leave a comment below telling me who you are routing for or what you’re making for Super Bowl Sunday.
2. Like Ingredients, Inc on Facebook.
2. Follow me on twitter.
3. Follow me on Pinterest
4. Tweet the following: I just entered @alisonlewis cookbook giveaway for #400BestSandwiches
Recipe excerpted from 400 Best Sandwich Recipes by Alison Lewis © 2011 Robert Rose Inc. www.robertrose.ca Reprinted with permission. All rights reserved.