Broccolini is a cross between broccoli and kai-lan, a chinese broccoli. It is slightly sweeter than broccoli, and its stalks are thinner so it cooks quicker. I love it when I need to prepare a healthy, fast side dish. Broccolini has great health benefits such as having anti-inflammatory properties, cancer fighting benefits, high antioxidants and more (below). This recipe for Broccolini with Pumpkin Seeds is one of my new family favorites. My kids ate this with no complaints. This recipe is also gluten-free on the paleo diet, and is a super healthy side to add to your weeknight dinner table.
5 Health Benefits of Broccolini:
1. It has beta carotene which helps boost your immune system.
2. It has high levels of vitamin K and Calcium which is great for bone health.
3. It is high in fiber so it aids in digestion, curbs overeating and maintains blood sugar levels.
4. Broccolini is high in Vitamin A and C which help boost immune system, contribute to better vision and helps boost metabolism.
5. Broccolini is high in potassium which is good for the nervous system, promoting brain function and muscle growth.
For more recipes and great information and recipes on metabolism, health and wellness see my FoodLife Project. My first coaching class starts the week of March 26th.
I have been getting so many questions at all of my recent health/wellness speaking engagements about lean proteins. Since people tend to forget about turkey (except during Thanksgiving), how about cooking turkey tenderloins? This recipe for Blackberry Glazed Turkey Tenderloin Salad is a 30 minute, simple recipe that is fresh, fast and pretty. The most difficult part is turning on the grill. The barbecue sauce, paprika and blackberry preserves add great flavor to the turkey. Enjoy the turkey sliced over a salad (such as above) or paired with grilled asparagus and a quinoa side dish for a healthy dinner.
How can you boost your metabolism? I’ll be speaking this weekend at Bikram Yoga Birmingham on Saturday at 11:15 (immediately after the 9:30 class) on this important topic. I’ll be talking about the top foods, drinks, tips and types of workouts that will maximize your metabolism to its fullest potential. If you can’t attend, check out my “small group coaching series online” this month being held online for The FoodLife Project.
Happy Fitness Friday. Since it’s my birthday week, I thought I would offer a fun giveaway for an awesome tank from lululemon athletica. We are so lucky to have a lululemon athletica store in Birmingham so check out their Facebook page. If you live in town, did you know that they offer yoga at their store every sunday night from 6 to 7 p.m? The class is taught by a different local yoga instructor each week. Fun, huh? If you’re in town, be sure to check it out! Back to my giveaway… To enter to win one of their latest tanks (it might not be these exact ones pictured, but it will be one of their latest tank tops), leave a comment telling me what type of yoga you would like to try or how yoga has impacted your life. Also do the following below for extra chances to win and leave me a comment letting me know you did. One lucky winner will be drawn on Tuesday, March 13th at 8 a.m CST. Good Luck!
1. Like Ingredients Inc on Facebook
2. Follow Alison Lewis on Twitter
3. Follow Alison lewis on Pinterest
4. Subscribe to Ingredients, Inc. via email
5. Like FoodLife Project on Facebook
6. Sign up for The FoodLife Project first “small group series” for 10 chances to win.