The Mediterranean diet has been called the “healthiest” diet of all, and my brother, Craig, a physician, sites research to his patients quite often as the most highly recommended diet. As a Nutritionist, I have studied a lot about it too, but when I was in Italy last month, I became a true believer. I traveled for seven full days in Italy eating six and eight course meals for lunch and dinner served with wine. I also didn’t exercise the entire week (very unlike me). When I came home and realized I actually lost weight, I was stumped. I thought about what ingredients comprised those extravagant meals, and I realized how pure all the food was. This shot was taken on my trip touring the beautiful land of the Le Marche Region of Italy.
Some Key Components of the Mediterranean Diet Include:
1. Plenty of exercise
2. Eating primarily plant based foods
3. Replacing butter with olive and canola oils
4. Using herbs and spices instead of salt to flavor foods
5. Limiting red meat to no more than a few times a month. Eat more vegetables.
6. Eating fish and poultry at least twice a week.
7. Drinking red wine in moderation.
8. Eat fruit for dessert
9. Eat small portions of high-quality foods.
10. Eat yogurt and cheese as your main dairy products.
11. This diet conveys the importance of enjoying meals with friends and family.
Top Foods on The Mediterranean Diet
-Fish and Seafood
-Olive oil or canola oil
-Fruits and Vegetables
Rich in vegetables, fruits, legumes, cereals, fish oil and even red wine, this diet is lower in saturated fat and has been said to reduce risks of cancers, heart disease and more.
Other Great Attributes about a Mediterranean diet:
1) A diet rich in fruits, grains, nuts, can reduce risk of obesity, cancer, heart disease, diabetes and alzheimers.
2) This diet is high in fiber which is great for decreased risk of diabetes and stomach issues.
3) This diet is filled with a good supply of mono-unsaturated fats found in fish, avocados, olive and canola oil which can help fight disease from the cellular level.
4) This is a diet people can stick to and actually enjoy.
This recipe for Mini Banana Bread Loaf has to be one of my all time favorites for so many reasons. First, it’s an awesome recipe and makes moist flavorful bread perfect for breakfast or a snack. It is also so healthy because it is made with nonfat Greek yogurt and ground flaxseed. I am a huge fan of using nonfat Greek yogurt because it has no fat, very few carbohydrates and is high in protein. Flaxseed is often called the “most powerful” plant food there is. It’s linked to so many benefits including reducing cholesterol, menopausal symptoms, constipation and arthritis. It also aids in protection against cancer, diabetes and heart disease. Lastly, you don’t even need a mixer so cleanup is a snap. When I taught the Kid’s Cooking Class a week ago in Park City, this recipe was a huge hit!