Chocolate chip cookies are iconic treats, and this ancient grain cookie recipe has just the right balance of flavor, texture and sweetness. I have found my newest favorite gluten free chocolate chip recipe and my newest favorite gluten free cookbook all in one. These Ancient Grain Chocolate Chip Cookies can be found in the new Bob’s Red Mill Every-Day Gluten-Free Cookbook published by my very own cookbook publisher, Robert Rose. These cookies are as good as they look and can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer up to 3 months.
Camilla Saulsbury, an award winning bestselling author has created 281 recipes that showcase the benefits of the gluten free diet. From satisfying breakfasts to evening dinners, here is a book that showcases the depth and versatility of Bob’s Red Mill’s gluten-free grains. You will find recipe using amaranth, quinoa, millet, teff and so much more as well as cooking methods to go with each of these grains. Camilla also gives amazing tips throughout this amazing cookbook! Check it out here.
Ancient Grain Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes 30 cookies
1 cup millet flour
1 cup certified GF large-flake (old-fashioned) rolled oats
1⁄4 cup tapioca starch
3 tbsp chia seeds, ground
1⁄2 tsp GF baking powder
1⁄4 tsp baking soda
1⁄4 tsp fine sea salt
3⁄4 cup fine crystal cane sugar or packed dark brown sugar
1⁄3 cup softened (not melted) virgin coconut oil
2 large eggs
3 tbsp pure maple syrup
11⁄2 tsp GF vanilla extract
3⁄4 cup GF semisweet chocolate chips
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together millet flour, oats, tapioca starch, chia seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
2. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat sugar and coconut oil until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, maple syrup and vanilla until blended. Using a wooden spoon, stir in flour mixture until just blended. Gently stir in chocolate chips. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, until firm, or overnight.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°F).
4. Drop dough by tablespoonfuls (15 mL) onto prepared baking sheets, spacing cookies 2 inches (5 cm) apart.
5. Bake, one sheet at a time, for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown and just set at the edges. Let cool on pan on a wire rack for 2 minutes, then transfer to the rack to cool completely.
Courtesy of Bob’s Red Mill Everyday Gluten-Free Cookbook by Camilla V Saulsbury, 2015 © www.robertrose.ca Reprinted with publisher permission.