Passover is here, and Easter is this weekend, so how about a great looking quinoa appetizer and fabulous cookbook giveaway? A flavorful trio including dried cranberries, quinoa and cool mint combines with lush fresh figs in this creative appetizer for Figs Stuffed with Sesame, Mint and Quinoa. Other fruits, such as halved apricots or pitted Medjool dates, may be used in place of the figs.
This recipe along with 499 others can be found in this comprehensive cookbook by Camilla Saulsbury published by Robert Rose books (my publisher). You will also learn how to stock your quinoa pantry, how to cook quinoa, the thermos method, how to add it to baked goods, how to toast it, how to sprout it, how to create quinoa flour and more.
For a chance to win this giveaway, leave a comment telling me why you like quinoa. The winner will be drawn on Thursday, April 4th at 8 a.m central.
1. Like Alison Lewis on Facebook
2. Follow Alison Lewis on Twitter
3. Follow Alison Lewis on Pinterest
4. Tweet about the giveaway I entered the quinoa cookbook giveaway via @alisonlewis #giveaway http://wp.me/ptHvn-atO
Figs Stuffed with Sesame, Mint and Quinoa
2 dozen appetizers
1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander 2 mL
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice 15 mL
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil 15 mL
2 teaspoon liquid honey or agave nectar 10 mL
11⁄2 cups cooked quinoa, cooled 375 mL
1⁄2 cup packed fresh mint leaves, chopped 125 mL
1⁄3 cup dried cranberries or tart cherries, chopped 75 mL
3 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds 45 mL
Fine sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
12 figs, stems trimmed off
1. In a large bowl, whisk together coriander, lemon juice, oil and honey. Add quinoa, mint, cranberries and sesame seeds, tossing to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
2. Cut figs in half lengthwise and scoop out some of the flesh onto a cutting board. Roughly chop flesh and stir into quinoa mixture. Place fig halves on a platter and heap with quinoa mixture.
Tips: The quinoa filling can be made up to 4 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Excerpted from 500 Best Quinoa Recipes by Camilla V. Saulsbury © 2012 Robert Rose Inc. www.robertrose.ca May not be reprinted without publisher permission.