Who loves grilled cheese? Well, it is finally here! My second cookbook, 150 Best Grilled Cheese Sandwiches is hot off the press. I am so amazed to have 2 cookbooks release in two years! You’ll find 150 Grilled Cheese Sandwiches including appetizers, breakfast, main dishes, lunch ideas, desserts and more, so there is something for just about everyone. I also have a healthy chapter with low-fat, low-carb and gluten-free options. This recipe (above) Healthy Pan Bagnat Grilled Cheese is a name for a sandwich originating from Nice, France, that consists of ingredients in a Salade Niçoise. This is a twist without the hard-boiled eggs, and it’s one of my favorite recipes in my “healthy” chapter. See this link to place an order now, and thank you for your continued fabulous support!
Photo Credit: Colin Erricson
Healthy Pan Bagnat Grilled Cheese
20 minutes minutes
2 tablespoons sherry vinegar (you can use red or white wine instead)
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
7 teaspoons olive oil, divided
1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 cans (each 7 oz) solid white tuna, packed in water, drained
1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
8 slices sprouted or whole-grain (1⁄2-inch thick slices)
4 Roma (plum) tomatoes, thinly sliced
1 cup baby spinach leaves
4 ounces shaved Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat panini grill to medium, if using.
2. In small bowl, whisk together vinegar, lemon juice, 1 tsp of the olive oil and pepper.
3. In a medium bowl, combine tuna, red onion and basil. Stir in sherry mixture, mixing well.
4. Brush one side of each bread slice with remaining oil. Place on a work surface, oiled side down. Top 4 bread slices equally with tuna mixture, tomato, spinach and cheese. Cover with remaining bread slices, oiled side up, and press together gently.
5. Place sandwiches on a preheated panini grill or in a large skillet over medium heat and cook, turning once if using a skillet, for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown and cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
Excerpted from 150 Best Grilled Cheese Sandwiches by Alison Lewis © 2012 Robert Rose Inc. www.robertrose.ca Reprinted with permission. All rights reserved: Not to be reprinted without publisher permission.