So, it’s Brussels Sprouts season, and I know people either love them or hate them. I happen to be a fan, and 2 out of 3 of my kids are too. This recipe for Brussels Sprouts Salad with Cranberries and Walnuts is one of my new favorites which I’ll serve on Thanksgiving this year. I used a simple apple cider vinaigrette mixture to flavor the Brussels Sprouts and tossed them with sweet dried cranberries and crunchy walnuts. For another healthy and easy Brussels Sprout side dish option, see Brussels Sprouts-Tomato Salad, which is another tasty way to serve this healthy vegetable.
5 Health Benefits of Brussels Sprouts:
1. Brussels Sprouts are high in Vitamin K which promotes healthy bones and brain function.
2. Brussels Spouts are high in fiber which helps in digestion, lowers cholesterol, prevents constipation, and aid in weight loss, making you feel fuller longer.
3. Brussels sprouts are high in antioxidants helping to fight against cancer.
4. Brussels sprouts are high in Vitamin C (1 cup contains over 161% of the recommended daily allowance) which helps boost the immune system and lower blood pressure.
5. Brussels Sprouts are high in iron and folate which helps maintain red blood cell count and prevents against diseases and birth defects.
FYI I will be on WMJJ 96.5 FM this morning talking about how to cook healthier during the holidays.
Brussels Sprouts Salad with Cranberries and Walnuts
3/4 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
4 tablespoon olive oil, divided
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon sea salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
1. Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add Brussels sprouts and cook 3 to 5 minutes. Immediately plunge into ice water. Remove immediately and set aside.
2. Whisk together apple cider vinegar, 3 tablespoons olive oil, Dijon, 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl. Drizzle over Brussels sprouts, tossing gently. Cover and refrigerate or store at room temperature.