Beets are so incredibly healthy, and one of my favorite root vegetables. Just 3 baby beets equals one serving of your 5 vegetables and fruits you should have a day. They are also so versatile in cooking, and I love them in this Beetroot Goat Cheese and Hazelnut Tart. This recipe is very simple to prepare, and it makes a show-stopping appetizer or side dish. It’s perfect for holiday season entertaining. Check out LoveBeets which are ready-to-eat, cooked beets. You can find them in your local grocery such as Whole Foods Market. They make life so much easier, and they taste so fresh.
Here are just a few of their powerful health benefits.
1. Beets are one of the richest sources of folic acid essential for normal tissue growth.
2. Research has showed that beets can help lower blood pressure and blood sugar.
3. Beets have been said to lessen chances of skin and lung cancer.
4. The high iron content in beets helps fight fatigue and anemia.
5. Beets contain high amounts of Boron which is related to production of human sex hormones, thus increasing sex drive.
Beetroot, Goat Cheese Hazelnut Tart
8 to 10 servings
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large red onion, finely sliced
1/2 (17.3-ounce) package puff pastry (1 sheet), thawed
3/4 pound cooked beetroot, cut into quarters
8 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
Salt and pepper to taste
3 tablespoons chopped hazelnuts
1. Preheat the oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Heat the oil in a large medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 15 minutes or until well browned, stirring often. Remove the skillet from the heat and let onion cool to room temperature.
2. Sprinkle the work surface with the flour. Unfold the pastry sheet on the work surface. Roll the pastry sheet into a 12-inch square. Place the pastry onto the baking sheet. Brush the edges of the pastry with water. Fold over the edges 1/2 inch on all sides, crimping with a fork to form a rim. Prick the center of the pastry thoroughly with a fork.
4. Spread the onion mixture evenly over the pastry to the rim. Sprinkle with beets, goat cheese. rosemary and salt and pepper, if desired. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with hazelnuts and cook 5 minutes more or until the pastry is golden brown. Let the pastry cool on the baking sheet on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Slice and serve warm.