This summer, I was lucky enough to travel through Italy with several journalists from around the U.S. One of them, whom I hit it off with immediately, was Susan Irby. Susan is known as the “Bikini Chef”, the host of the well-loved Bikini Lifestyles on 790 KABC in Los Angeles, CA. This radio station actually spans the globe with listeners in Italy, France, Germany, Australia, Canada and many other countries worldwide. She was a blast to be with on the trip, and I’m so excited to share her current cookbook with you, Substitute Yourself Skinny. Susan is a 7-time author who helps people obtain their healthy bikini goals by focusing on lifestyle changes rather than a short term diet.
Her recipe for “Lazy Lasagna” really caught my eye. It’s perfect for when the weather is cool, and kids love it. For only 308 calories and 3 grams of fat per serving, everyone can feel good about eating a hearty slice of this family favorite. This is just one of many delicious low-fat and beautiful recipes in her book. I am excited to give away one copy of her book. Just follow the steps below for a chance to win a copy. Winner will be chosen Sunday, October 30th at 8 a.m.
1. Leave a comment below telling me your favorite healthy pasta recipe.
2. Follow Alison Lewis on Twitter
3. Like Ingredients, Inc. on Facebook
4. Follow Susan Irby, The Bikini Chef on Twitter
5. Like The Bikini Chef on Facebook
1 pound dried lasagna noodles
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 white or yellow, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
3/4 pound lean ground beef
2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano leaves
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves
2 teaspoons chopped fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley leaves
1/2 cup chopped cremini mushrooms
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
2 (6-ounce) cans tomato paste
1 cup water
Sea salt to taste
Black pepper to taste
2 cups nonfat ricotta cheese
1 cup nonfat cottage cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Nonstick cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Prepare the lasagna noodles as directed on the package. When cooked and drained, drizzle with olive oil to prevent sticking.
2. In a large saucepan over medium heat, add the onion, garlic and beef. Saute until the beef is browned and the onion is tender, about 7 minutes. Drain off the grease. Add the oregano, basil, parsley, mushrooms, tomatoes, tomato paste, and water. Stir to mix well. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 25 minutes.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the ricotta, cottage cheese, and Parmesan. Mix well.
4. To make the lasagna, prepare a deep, rectangular baking dish by spray it with nonstick spray. Arrange the lasagna noodles in a single layer i the bottom of the pan. spread with 1/3 of the meat sauce.e Top with 1/3 of the cheese mixture. Add another relayer of lasagna noodles and top with half of the remaining meat mixture and half of the remaining cheese mixture. Repeat with another layer of noodles, using the remaining meat and cheese mixtures. Finish with a layer of noodles on the top.
5. Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest about 15 minutes. cut into 12 portions and serve.
Note: For ease in serving, arrange bottom layer of noodles horizontally, trimming as needed. then, when adding the next layer of noodles, arrange vertically. Continue alternating the direction of the noodles as you complete the recipe. This will help hold the lasagna together when serving.