Happy Fourth of July. I hope everyone has a relaxing and safe holiday. My kids and I had so much fun making these Buttermilk Cupcakes last week. The cupcake recipe comes from Southern Living magazine from several years ago. It’s so easy and one of my favorites. Frost with homemade cream cheese icing or store-bought, and top with sprinkles or these adorable Fourth of July marshmallows by Jet Puffed.
Fourth of July Buttermilk Cupcakes
2 cups sugar
1 cup butter
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups cake flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
1. Beat sugar and butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until yellow disappears after each addition. Beat in lemon juice and vanilla.
2. Combine flour and baking soda in a small bowl; add to sugar mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at medium speed just until blended after each addition.
3. Place 24 paper baking cups in muffin pans. Spoon into baking cups, filling two-thirds full.
4. Bake at 350° for 18 to 22 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean. Cool in pans on a wire rack 10 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pans to wire rack, and cool 45 minutes or until completely cool.
5. Frost each cupcake. Sprinkle each frosted cupcake with red-, white-, and blue-colored sprinkles.