This is not one of my typical “lightened-up” recipes, but I had to share these Any Occasion Chocolate Cupcakes with you. My daughter, Leigh, made this recipe for me the night I arrived home from being in Italy for a week. I was so excited to come home to my family and true comfort food. These are so spectacular. You don’t even need to make homemade icing. I wanted to post the recipe for Father’s Day, but I was traveling again this past week. I realized that this recipe is perfect for so many occasions: Father’s Day, birthdays, parties, showers or just because. I thought they would be a great way to start off the week so enjoy.
Any Occasion Chocolate Cupcakes
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
11/4 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup water
Chocolate chips, chopped pecans, almonds or walnuts (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Line 18 muffin cups with cupcake liners.
2. Melt chocolate in a double boiler and stir until chocolate is melted and smooth. Set aside.
3. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl; set aside.
4. Beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer over medium speed until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. Add chocolate and beat at low speed. Add eggs, one at a time, at medium speed. Add sour cream and vanilla and beat until no white streaks remain. Reduce speed to low. Add half flour mixture alternating with water ending with flour mixture.
5. Fill each cupcake liner with 1/4 cup batter. Bake in preheated oven 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely. Frost with icing and top with chocolate chips and/or nuts.