For Memorial Day weekend, I want to share one of my favorite burgers: Brie-Mushroom Burger. The first time I made this, my kids were a little leery of the Brie and mushrooms. When they tried it, they were hooked. This is a great way to get your children to eat mushrooms and try new ingredients. If you’re grilling this weekend for adults, you will definitely enjoy this burger with a cold beer (or glass of red wine). Happy Memorial Day everyone!
11/2 pounds ground sirloin
1/4 cup finely chopped onion (optional)
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 ounces Brie, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons canola or olive oil
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
4 hamburger buns, toasted
Avocado, lettuce, tomato, other toppings (optional)
1. Preheat grill to medium-high (350°F to 400°F).
2. In a large bowl combine beef, onion (if desired), Worcestershire and pepper. Shape into 4 patties about 3/4-inch thick.
3. Place patties on grill. Grill, covered, 4 to 6 minutes per side or to desired doneness. Place Brie on patties during the last 2 minutes of grilling.
4. Meanwhile, place a skillet or large sheet of heavy-duty foil directly on grill. Add oil and mushrooms; sauté until mushrooms are tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove mushrooms from grill; set aside.
5. Place burgers on buns, top with mushrooms and desired toppings, and serve.