Beefy Hoppin John is perfect for New Year’s Day. I developed this recipe for Laura’s Lean Beef, and it’s only 318 calories per serving and 4 grams of fat per serving. It’s really simple to prepare with only 10 minutes of preparation time. Please excuse me for not supplying a picture of the recipe, but my camera and computer has been on the blink this week.
Beefy Hoppin John
4 to 6 servings
1/2 pound lean ground beef
1/2 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup chopped celery
2 (14-ounce) cans low-salt broth
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
3/4 cup uncooked long-grain rice
1 (15.8-ounce) can black eyed peas, rinsed and drained
1. Cook ground beef in a large skillet until browned; drain.
2. Add onion, garlic and celery and cook 5 minutes or until tender.
3. Add broth and crushed red pepper; bring to a boil.
4. Add rice; cover and simmer 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
5. Add black eyed peas and cook 10 more minutes or until heated and liquid is absorbed.