I live in interesting (and fortunate) life as a Recipe Developer creating Christmas recipes in the heat of July and summery recipes and grilling during winter. I created this recipe last summer for a “REAL BUTTER” recipe project coming up with “regional” cookie ideas and recipes. I’m not from the west, but I thought a touch of chipotle mixed with chocolate in a shortbread-type cookie would rock. They did! My assistant, Alacia, has been a fan of chipotle ever since. You can’t go wrong with Chocolate Chipotle Shortbread Cookies. They are perfect for holidays or anytime of the year.
Chocolate Chipotle Shortbread Cookies
8 ounces dark chocolate morsels (11/3 cups)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground chipotle seasoning
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup light brown sugar
1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
1. Preheat oven to 325F.
2. Microwave chocolate on HIGH heat for 45 seconds; stir. reheat in 15 second intervals, stirring until melted or heat chocolate over a double-boiler, stirring until melted.
3. Combine, flour, cinnamon and chipotle in a medium bowl; Set aside.
4. Beat butter at medium speed of an electric mixer until creamy. Add brown sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in melted chocolate. Stir in flour mixture until blended. Stir in pecans.
5. Shape dough into 1-inch ball; place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Flatten bottom with a glass dipped in sugar.
6. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are set. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.